Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Day 1: The Arrival


She Said:
We are finally here! Our friendly driver, Mattou, picked us up from the airport (after freaking out that all our luggage was lost!) and dropped us off at the most beautiful resort I have ever seen. Lush gardens filled with tropical plants, decorative deities guarding the entrances to temples, and even a ping pong table! (Yes you heard me correctly, Josh can practice even halfway across the world). Our room is a pristine polynesian themed single with a giant bed, flat screen TV and bathroom window looking out onto a koi pond- in case we need a little extra "relaxation" after all this foreign food. And for only the equivalent of 69 US dollars a night!

We decided to take a walk along the main boardwalk and were confronted with pushy vendors asking us if we wanted a cheap massage. We must really look uptight! haha.

As evening fell we decided to check out the swim up bar. The water was so warm and the local beer, Bintang, was a delicious treat after so many weary hours of traveling. The thunderheads moved closer and guests of the hotel began retreating inside, but Josh and I found the pool too calming so we stayed a while soaking while the raindrops fell making tiny ripples all around us. Suddenly, the sky burst open and we ran for cover from the misty hot rain. We found ourselves snuggling under a private cabana surrounded by a curtain of rain and fell fast asleep dreaming of the wonders of Bali yet to discover.

HE SAID:
So glad to be here finalllllyyy. Man what I said earlier about flying being fine I got really sick of being in airports and just needed to get outside. Our Taxi drive was awesome, it was nice being able to ask questions about the surroundings and ask language questions and get well-spoken English responses. I got to try a little of my balianese Indonesian on some of the people at the hotel and they could understand what I was trying to say so I feel accomplished in my attempt to learn their language. I was pretty quiet the whole drive to Senur, trying to take in the beautiful statues and artwork that lined the streets. The patterns here are blowing my mind already. I think one of my favorite things about being a artist is seeing something that you can picture in your mind and how to take that inspiration and apply it. And by the way this is only the first day, so I am sure I will have artistic overload by the time we leave. We were so tired when we got to that hotel that after having a couple drinks and swimming in the pool we passed out at 530 and didn't wake up till 1030. That's right world I did not eat dinner (Shane and Mooney don't be pissed I promise to eat more than anyone on the island). We went back to sleep hoping that the jet lag would pass so we could start our day bright and early.

1 comment:

Jules said...

You lost your luggage??? What?