Monday, October 13, 2008


Yesterday was, by far, our favorite day....

Agenda for the day:

7:30- Shuttle pick up, meet other tourists for bike ride
She said: A little early for me, but the early bird catches the worm? (or lizard...)
He said: Yea right... she was a morning grump, good thing there were other people there so she had to be on her best behavior!

9:00- Breakfast overlooking volcano and lakeside village
She said: What a spectacular view!
He said: Mmmmm, more fried rice for breakfast.

10:00- Tour by shuttle through rural village and lecture on Balinese culture
She said: So fascinating to hear all the amazing ceremonial traditions and beliefs
He said: Yea, they bury their dead for a short period of time and then dig up the bodies and creamate all the bodies together in a mass creamation and send the ashes out to sea. It was so interesting.

11:00- Bike tour begins
He said: I was ready to see the country side up close and personal
She said: Josh looks like such a dork in a helmet! hahaha

11:15- Meet Balinese family and tour through their community home
She said: Family life is so intricate and sacred here. In one community compound there are buildings with a few families, special homes of the elders, a pavilion where they hold special ceremonies like birth rituals and marriages, a pig pen, work area, laundry room and even a rural style fitness center (two rocks on a long stick for bench pressing!)
He said: Dude, no joke, there was an Iron Maiden poster hanging up in one of the rooms!

12:00- Plantation/Eco tour
He said: We got to see the natural plants growing in their habitat and were able to taste some of the fresh tropical fruits. the tamarillo (like a really sweet tomato) was AMAAAAAZZZZZING!
She said: Also, I got to help roast fresh picked coffee beas and tasted some of the rarest coffee in the world. Get this, it is made from beans that are eaten by a catlike fox and then picked from its excrement and made into coffee...
He said: Basically she drank poopy coffee. seriously, coffee made from beans nestled in poooooop!

1:00- Village Bike Ride
She said: We rode through each small village seeing their homes and temples and everyday life, and the children greeted us with cheerful hellos and high fives as we rode by!
He said: Some of those kids can smack pretty hard! :)

2:00- Uphill climb to lunch
She said: It was like spin class only the real thing! 45 minutes of hard physical challenges through lush greenery knowing the reward is not the loss of calories but a hot lunch at the top of the hill and cold beer!
He said: It was pretty easy for me, all I thought about was the food waiting for me at the top!

3:00- Lunch
She said: We ate and talked with friends from around the world about our amazing experiences
He said: Steamed rice, smoked duck, smoked chicken, soya bean cakes, fried noodles, gadu gadu (cabbage wrapped veggies), spicy sambal.... I truly think that was a climb to heaven
She said: Yea, his spiritual enlightenment definitely starts with his stomach...

4:30- Monkey Forest
He said: We walked through a forest infested with hundreds of monkeys! Great photo ops.
She said: Yea, it was cool until I tried to touch one and it almost attacked me! So scarey! I definitely learned to respect nature right then and there!

6:00- Relaxing swim in the pool
They said: Ahhhhhhhh.......

8:00- Dinner and live music
She said: So tired... can't keep eyes open... want sleep
He said: Not me man, keep the food coming. Rice noodles, Lemon chicken and pinapple skewers, and banana and chocolate quesadillas all to the sounds of balinese youngsters covering blues classic. Who needs sleep!?!

9:30- Bedtime
He said: Why won't this damn air conditioner work! sigh...
She said: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........

6 comments:

Jules said...

hahaha...you guys have something here!

So the rare coffee sounds like it is straight out of balderdash! Im not kidding! That is a definition from there!!

dsnowden said...

This whole coffee bean thing reminds me of the knight rider episode where Michael and Zoe go undercover as a surfer couple to take down a terrorist cell in Baja. Josh, you know what I'm talking about ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys are having a great time! I love the he said, she said...its great!!!! Love, Mandees

The O said...

Your favorite day. My favorite post... so far.

The great part is I can see all of this happening in my head. So jealous!

Anonymous said...

Josh, I really can't see you doing some insane bike ride up a mountain. Although I can picture you with a helmet on looking like a dork.

Shannon, you should have gave josh a big kiss after drinking that coffee. HAHA

Anonymous said...

so, i like meditated last night for easily 6 hours. i was on my couch, watching some insane black hole documentary thing and, i donno, i just felt so much spiritual goodness. i don't remember anything past that until I opened my eyes to the sound of my alarm clock in the morning.

I never realized my grandpa meant "meditating" when he said he was "napping"

Wow. I think I have 3 or 4 eyes now!

Get your ass back here, we have work to do! :)