Sunday, October 12, 2008

You know what I say? EAT IT!



HE SAID:

Today we woke up bright and early as we have done all week. It's hard to sleep in when the sounds of tropical birds wake you up at 6 am. I had fried rice and lumpia this morning and Shannon had eggs(boooooooooo). She thinks I won't last on my goal to only eat Asian food the whole trip and I laugh in her face when she tells me this ridiculous comment. We spent a couple hours in our meditation hut and then were off to Kuta beach for the day. Right when we got to Kuta I was soooo appreciative Shannon decided to have us stay in Sanur instead of the tourist trap of Kuta. Kutawas fun but, it's pretty much like any SoCal beach but lots of Aussies and Balianese surfers. We did some shopping at the surf shops and got some great deals for super cheap.

Lunch featured our new favorite drinks called Squashes. It's basically soda water and a flavor of sobert, so freaking good. We then made our way to the beach for the rest of the day. Shannon loves being at beaches with me because I act like a fool in the water, splashing around jumping into waves. Kuta was great but I was very happy to leave and go back to Sanur for dinner. Before we left Shannon wanted to grab something from one of the vendors on the beach. So we got probably the greatest soup ever. It was a chicken broth with lots of chilli peppers, noodles and chicken meat balls. Shannon is going to say that I have been a baby about trying food and that she was the one that made us get this amazing soup; that part is true but I have not been a baby I just want to make sure my lady doesn't get a upset belly and cries the whole night =).

Before I go, more on the delicious food. We went to a little beach place I saw the other day cooking clams with a spicy tomato sauce. So I got mix satay and the clams and Shan got Baba Kecap. The clams were good but alittle fishy for me luckly my satay was amazing to save the meal. Off to Ubud tomorrow we'll write soon.

She said:

Ok, one of the biggest surprises in Bali is not the friendly locals or unique culture or even bizarre traditions. It is what a pussy my husband is when it comes to eating! That's right folks, I kid you not. This scaredy cat acts like he is a human garbage disposal at home in the States, but let me dispell that rumor. I have been all up to the adventure of diving into the market place eats (disgusting as they may look), and he is the one who has to be coaxed into trying anything. I mean, I figure someone over here in Bali eats it, why can't I? But Josh on the other hand, shyly scoots away and leaves it up to me to decide whether to try some of these crazy new foods. So don't let his bravado fool you, his tastebuds are tame and he is definitely lame.

And Josh, the next time you want to try some wild and crazy new food, step aside, cuz your wife is going to have to be your official taste tester from now on...

As me and Andrew Zimmern, the host of "Bizarre Foods" say,

If it looks good, Eat it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Shannon. This is turning out to be a very revealing trip. Josh stop being such a pussy and dive in!